Student Registration

Our registrar can help enroll your new student at Canterbury Woods ES and more

Student Information Assistant

Amy Decatur

If you are new to the Canterbury Woods school community, we'd like to extend a warm welcome! 

Kindergarten Registration

A child may enter kindergarten if he or she turns five on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters school.

Registering a student for kindergarten is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS Kindergarten Registration webpage (link below), where you'll find complete details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to fill out.

FCPS Kindergarten Registration

Canterbury Woods ES will have information available in late March or early April for parents of incoming kindergarteners, and we'll be holding orientation sessions. After you have confirmed your address on this boundary link, assembled all necessary documents, and completed the FCPS Registration forms, please contact Amy Decatur, our student information assistant, at 703-764-5602 or @email

Grades 1 - 6: Register a Student New to FCPS

Registering a student who is new to FCPS for grades 1 through 6 at Canterbury Woods ES is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS General Registration Requirements webpage (link below).

FCPS General Registration Requirements

The FCPS General Registration Requirements page will help you determine where to register: either at Canterbury Woods or at the closest Student Registration Welcome Center. You will also find details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to complete.

If you have any questions, please contact Amy Decatur at 703-764-5602 or @email.

Moving to Canterbury Woods ES from Another FCPS School 

If your student is attending an FCPS elementary school, but you will be moving to a new primary residence with Canterbury Woods ES as a base school, you will first need to contact the registrar at the current elementary school to arrange to withdraw your student. Then you will need to contact the Canterbury Woods ES registrar to enroll your student.  

Items Needed for Registration (for Existing FCPS Student) 

  • Proof of Residency in Fairfax County - You will be required to show proof of residency during the registration process.
  • Proof of Parent Identity - Only a parent who is named on the child's birth certificate is eligible to enroll the student. At an appointment with our registrar, the parent will be required to present government-issued photo identification.
  • Withdrawal Form - It is very important that you complete a Withdrawal Form and return it to your current school if you are moving during the school year.
  • Forms - You will need to fill out and submit the following three forms to the Canterbury Woods ES registrar:

Withdraw a Student from Canterbury Woods ES

To withdraw a student from Canterbury Woods ES, contact our registrar to make arrangements to complete a Withdrawal Form.  

Student Transfer Information 

A student is expected to attend the school that serves his or her attendance area.Transfer requests are considered for very specific reasons as outlined in FCPS School Board Regulation 2230.

Student transfer information is available if a parent would like to transfer a student from a base school to another school within FCPS. However, a  school must be open to transfers, based on student capacity, etc.

Other Ways the Registrar Can Help

Please contact our registrar if you need to change parent information, such as email address, or student contact information such as name, address or custody.

More Registration Resources for Military Families